Smishing is phishing via SMS. It is often used to steal a person’s money or identity by some response to the message.
Examples include messages purporting to be from
- Your bank, informing you that there is a ‘problem with your account’ such as irregular activity or lack of funds.
- A retailer, offering ‘vouchers’ or ‘gift cards’.
- A technology provider such as Apple or Google, notifying that you ‘need to validate an account’.
- A parcel delivery company, notifying you that you need to ‘confirm that you want a parcel to be delivered’.
- Revenue services, informing you that you are ‘due a tax refund’.