Smartphones and tablets that you no longer need should be disposed of with great care. The data on your device can easily be accessed whether you sell, scrap, give away or donate it, and even ‘deleted’ data can be retrieved with relative ease by criminals.
- The personal information stored in files on your device – including contacts, photos, videos and email attachments – can be accessed and used for criminal activity.
- Any passwords stored on your device could give access to secure websites holding your personal and financial information.
- Any browsing history can be accessed.
- emails stored on your device can be accessed.
- Disposing of your device without having retrieved the information you may need in the future may cause inconvenience or disruption.