We download a lot – software updates, of music, video, games, Word documents, PDFs, photos and other files. However, this also risks exposure to viruses or spyware.
When downloading :
- Use trusted download websites to obtain programs.
- Be very careful about downloads in email attachments. Verify with the sender to make sure his or her account has not been hacked.
- Ensure you have effective and updated antivirus/antispyware software and firewall running.
- Do no download and run executable files (.exe). Clicking on these will run a program of some kind. However, they are also commonly used in viruses.
- Download music and videos only from paid sites such as iTunes, Amazon or trusted retailers’ websites. Peer-to-peer files such as Napster are not recommended.
- If you are not sure about file or website address safety then you can check this through https://www.virustotal.com/ NB, be aware that all files what you upload to virustotal.com will be stored there. So if you have sensitive or confidential files, you should find another solution for that.